Lesson Plan Title: 2-D Shape Robots
Materials: Construction paper or cardstock(scraps), thin sharpies, glue, random price stickers (or anything random to add if you have it), scissors
Vocabulary: trapezoid, pentagon, hexagon, shape, line, pattern
- Students explore the use of advanced shapes (shapes that are not just a square, circle, triangle) in an effort to trigger creativity.
- Students use different media of collage to communicate ideas and stories.
- Pass out scrap paper or 2 sheets of different colored paper to each student.
- Demonstrate each portion of the robot (i.e., how to cut out a trapezoid head, hexagon body, rectangular legs/hands). Have the students cut as you demonstrate each piece.
- Once all pieces are cut, have students glue pieces down.
- Pass out ink sharpies (wait until they have everything glued), and demonstrate what they can add (i.e., eyes, lines, patterns, buttons, wires)
- What is your robot’s name?
- What does he do?
- How many shapes did you use to make him/her
- How to on Shape Robots – http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2013/08/19/shape-robot-art-project/
- Download this lesson plan: 2-D Shape Robots