WhyArts artists Kim Clark-Kaczmarek, Nils Haaland and Theresa Sindelar took metro area special education students on a creative journey this past winter and spring. “Over the River,” an interactive three-day workshop coordinated by WhyArts artist Stephanie Anderson, was based on a script written by WhyArts artist Ellen Strueve.
The artists used puppets and narrative to involve students in adventures, each connected by the message “I will find a way.” The narratives, which included classic fables like “The Sun and the Wind” and “The Hyena and the Alligator,” were built with songs that incorporated movement and simple instruments. The students created their own puppets as part of the experience.
- Adams Elementary School
- Edison Elementary School
- Gateway Elementary School
- Jefferson Elementary School
- Prairie Wind Elementary School
- Wakonda Elementary School
- Beverage Magnet Middle School
- King Science/Tech Magnet Middle School
- R M Marrs Magnet Middle School
- Integrated Learning Program
OVER the RIVER was made possible by a grant from the Kennedy Center to Circle Theatre.